For this month’s edition of the Session, the proposed subject is ‘Hometown Glories’. Take this and run with it how you wish, but when thinking about possible subjects I had in mind an imminent visit to the place I spent my formative years and blogging about it’s highlights and wider beer scene. Possible starting points could be –
- Describing the types of bars/pubs you have in your home town, how popular are they? Has craft beer culture made much of a splash?
- Are there any well-known breweries? Is there a particular beer or style that is synonymous with your home town
- History of the town and how that can be reflected in its drinking culture
- Tales of your youth, early drinking stories
- Ruminations on what once was and what is now? Have you moved away and been pleasantly surprised or disappointed on return visits?
My visit over the next week is going to hopefully inspire me, and it’s a great excuse to visit a few old haunts and new venues. If you’re less enamoured with your hometown, or even if you left and never returned, feel free to respond anyway – maybe you’re an adopted native of somewhere better. My home town is no longer my home, so if you’d like to write about the place you feel most at home in relation to beer, that would be welcomed too.
I’m hoping this will spark a wide range of topics within the wider theme, and I look forward to reading your responses. Tag me in on Twitter – @barrelagedleeds – or comment below with a link if you prefer, by or on Friday the 2nd March.